Mami Riding the Bike

Mami Riding the Bike

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Making Connections

I don't think I am the only one who thought today was the first day of spring. I think all of us bears came out of our caves to enjoy the first warm rays of sunshine. Today promised what is to come in some very near future...summer. There is nothing better than getting on the cargo bike and taking my smaller son to the lakefront for a ride. After riding through the whole winter (except the one week the blizzard hit), it was completely liberating to ride without gloves, hats, covers, blankets, and yes today I got to wear my sunglasses for the first time in a long time!

Riding along the Lake made me wish I had my older son with us riding his bike along the paths feeling the still frigid air from the water. Riding bicycles, I believe is what invites you to be connected to your surroundings and to your community. We've had more conversations with strangers and have been able to say hello to more people on our cargo bike than we would have if we were in a car or just walking. I know riding a bike and not having a car make you stay closer to home, but in a way this is comforting because you get to know every corner of your immediate neighborhood.

Today, we were all outside. Today we all seemed to have smile on our faces and happy to just be alive, or at least I was and I hope everyone got to taste a bit of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment