Mami Riding the Bike

Mami Riding the Bike

Thursday, March 17, 2011

If you only knew

One of the things about riding a bike is that you somewhat lead a secret life. What I mean by secret is that you don't make the same assumptions about commitments as other people who have cars can make. For example, today I was at Aldi and I forgot my wallet. As I realized this minute detail after the attendant had finished itemizing my bill, I looked at her with mercy, "Please don't make me pedal all the way home to get my wallet and pedal all the way back! I only have 30 minutes to spare before I need to pick up my sons from school, bake the cookies I cannot buy, and go to a St.Patrick's party!" She of course, had no idea of my predicament, and just politely smiled at me, "You are out of luck, lady!" Well, I told her, "Please hold my stuff, I should make it back in 20 or so..." I need to get your last package of Shamrock cookie dough!

Another great example, is talking to other moms and taking a survey of after-school activities. There are so many ways of passing judgement on what the best activities are or who runs the best activities for our overly brilliant children. I on the other hand always ask, "How far is it? Can I fit it into pick-ups, drop-offs, dinner, homework, etc...?" If the answer is not an easy yes, then forget it. You may think of course that we are limiting our children's opportunities to be in the best of the best, but what ever happened with making your best at home? In my son's school and at church we talk a lot about community. I am not about to write a thesis on the meaning of community, but I feel that being part of a community is truly living in it and knowing that your choices are based on how much effort you put in making those choices available.

I am off to do a pick-up...

No comments:

Post a Comment